Individual Counselling for Sex Addiction
Sex addiction might sound like a great addiction to have but let me dispel some myths:
- There is little pleasure involved in it
- Both Men and Women can be sex addicted
- Engaging in a lot of sex does not mean you are addicted to sex
Sex addicts use sexual behaviour compulsively in spite of negative consequences such as loss of self-esteem, financial losses and losing important relationships. Sex becomes a tool to mask emotional pain and/or deal with the wounds of unresolved trauma.
Sex addiction can be as devastating as alcohol or drug addiction.
Therapy provides a safe space to:
- Properly assess problematic sexual behaviour
- Establish an effective treatment plan
- Identify triggers to sexual acting out
- Confront denial about sexual behaviours
- Reduce shame
- Create a comprehensive relapse prevention plan
- Identify boundaries that are essential for maintaining your well-being
THREE IMPORTANT ELEMENTS IN SEX ADDICTION COUNSELLING
Loving sex or having a lot of it does not necessarily make you a sex addict.
Getting properly assessed is a necessary prerequisite before any effective counselling can be done. Visit my Assessment Page to find out more about the services I offer to assess for Sex Addiction.
Using the 30 Task Approach developed by Dr. Patrick Carnes, we will work to help you understand addiction, set personal limits, manage your life without addictive behaviour, address shame and build a healthy foundation for your life.
The ultimate goal is to help liberate you from addictive behaviour. This includes having meaning in your life, communicating honestly, following through on your intentions and having strong and healthy boundaries.